Tu Dam Pagoda is located in the Truong An Ward, 2km from the centre of Hue City, along Dien Bien Phu Street, across Nam Giao Bridge up to the end of the first slope. Tu Dam Pagoda was designed following the model of a Conference Pagoda (Chua Hoi). The old and new architectures blend together creating spacious and harmonious elements.
Tu Dam Pagoda is one of the biggest and oldest pagodas in Hue. The pagoda was founded at the end of the 17th century (in about 1695) by the Venerable Minh Hoang Tu Dung, a Chinese who belonged to the 34th sect of the Lam Te school of Zen. He was the high-ranking monk who taught and gave the certification to monk Lieu Quan, the Buddhist initiator of Vietnam in the south. Tu Dam Pagoda is famous and nationally known for its important role in the process of development of Buddhism, and the struggle for peace and for freedom of religion.
Tu Dam Pagoda worships one Buddha only, so that its appointments are rather simpler than that of other pagodas in Hue. In the temple, there is a Buddha Sakyamuni sitting on a lotus pedestal. There are an ancestors altar house and a monks house behind the main temple. The two storeys Conference Hall is large and wide building with 10 rooms to meet the requirements of a Conference Pagoda.