Ben Thanh Market (from Vietnamese Ben meaning "wharf", and Quy Thanh meaning "turtle citadel") is a big marketplace in the downtown area of Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, in District 1. The market is one of the earliest surviving structures in Saigon and today is considered one of symbols of Ho Chi Minh City, popular with tourists seeking local handicrafts, textiles, ao dai, and souvenirs, as well as local cuisine.
The market developed from informal markets created by early 17th century street vendors gathering together near the Saigon River. The market was formally established by the French colonial powers after taking over the Gia Dinh citadel in 1859 (see Citadel of Saigon). This market was destroyed by fire in 1870 and rebuilt to become Saigon's largest market. In 1912 the market was moved to a new building and called the New Ben Thanh Market to distinguish over its predecessor. The building was renovated in 1985.
Apart from being a major hub for the network of city buses serving Ho Chi Minh City, Ben Thanh Market is planned to be a hub for several lines of the planned Ho Chi Minh City Metro; Line 1, already under construction, would connect Ben Thanh with Suoi Tien Park and Long Binh in District 9. Other lines would connect Ben Thanh with Tham Luong in District 12, and with Cholon and Binh Tan District.