Solis Theatre is Uruguay's oldest theatre. It was built in 1856 and is currently owned by the government of Montevideo. It is located in Plaza Independencia (Ciudad Vieja).
In 1998, the government of Montevideo started a major reconstruction of the theatre, which included two US $110,000 columns designd by Phillipe Starck. The reconstruction was completed in 2004 with the re-opening taking place in August of that year. Acoustic studies of the rehabilitation project was entrusted to Jerome Falala of the French studio AVEL ACOUSTIQUE.
Tomás Giribaldi's La Parisina, considered the first Uruguayan national opera, was premiered at the Solís on September 14, 1878.