Wapiti Ranger Station is the oldest U.S. Forest Service ranger station in the United States. The station is located in Shoshone National Forest, Wyoming and has been used continuously since it was built in 1903. The station was the first forest service ranger station built with federal funding. Constructed with native forest timber, the structure is maintained regularly, with some recent improvements – such as replacing some rotting timber – implemented in 2005.
On May 23, 1963, Wapiti Ranger Station was designated as an National Historic Landmark, and placed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966.
The station is 30 miles (48 km) west of Cody, Wyoming on U.S. Route 14/16/20, between Cody and the east entrance to Yellowstone National Park.