The community was settled in the 18th century. It was incorporated as a town in 1838 under the name Thibodauxville, in honor of local plantation owner Henry Schuyler Thibodaux, who provided land for the village and served as acting governor of Louisiana in 1824. The name was changed to Thibodeaux in 1838, and the current spelling Thibodaux was officially adopted in 1918. Thibodaux is a small city in and the parish seat of Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, United States, along the banks of Bayou Lafourche in the northwestern part of the parish. The population was 14,431 at the 2000 census. Thibodaux is a principal city of the HoumaBayou CaneThibodaux Metropolitan Statistical Area.