Massacoe State Forest was originally called the Simsbury
Forest. It began with the first purchase of 119 acres in 1908. In 1949, it went from 244 acres to 99 acres when much of the forest went to the Parks Division to become Stratton Brook State Park
.Thanks to the donation of the Great Pond property by James L. Goodwin through his will and another small acquisition, Massacoe State Forest is now 399 acres.The forest is managed for sawtimber, firewood, wildlife habitat, and recreational activities such as hiking, jogging, fishing, and bird watching.