The Florence area was originally known as Crossroads, because of the convergence of several roads from Burlington and Union at Ridge Road (now U.S. 25). By 1821, the area was known as Maddentown, named for Thomas Madden, a Covington attorney who owned a farm on the Burlington Pike. When Madden moved away, the area became known as Connersville in 1828, for Jacob Conner, a settler who assumed responsibility for the growing town. The town was renamed Florence as another Connersville already existed in Harrison County. It was incorporated on January 27, 1830 and grew quickly after the completion of the Covington-Lexington Turnpike in 1836.