Dr. Juan A. Rivero Zoo is a zoo located in Mayagüez, Puerto Rico. It is the only zoo on the island. It is named in honor of Juan A. Rivero, its first director. It has an extensive collection of animals from all continents, as well as new facilities.
The zoo was originally opened in 1954, when legislator Benjamin Cole authored the law that created the zoo. Starting in 2003 the zoo went through a major upgrade with the addition of the aviary, arthropodary and a butterfly exhibition.
On March 2008 the zoo acquired two new giraffes and two desert warthogs to augment the African collection. The animals were brought from Ohio and Louisiana.
Committed to animal welfare, especially those facing extinction, the zoo has several conservations programs for the following species: