Botanical Garden is located in the Nanhai Academy on Nanhai Road in Zhongzheng
District, Taipei, Taiwan
. The Botanical Garden covers an area of about 15 hectares and includes over 1500 plant species.
The Taipei Botanical Garden was originally established during Japanese rule in 1921, although the garden itself has been in existence since 1896. It is maintained by the Taiwan Forestry Research Institute. In 1930, there were 1129 species in the garden, serving largely academic research and natural sciences.
However, the garden was deserted during World
War II. After the war, the garden was rearranged and new plants were introduced.There are 17 districts in the garden, exhibiting various plants. The 9 ponds are also designed to grow different plants. There are two buildings in the botanical garden currently listed as historical structures.One is a Qing Dynasty era administrative office build in 1888 and relocated to the garden in modern times. The other is a herbarium.
The garden is accessible within walking distance West from Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall
Station of the Taipei Metro.