The Presidential Office Building houses the Office of the President of the Republic of China
. The building, located in the Zhongzheng
District in the national capital of Taipei
, Republic of China, was designed by architect Uheiji Nagano during the period of Japanese rule of Taiwan
(1895–1945). The structure originally housed the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan. Damaged in Allied bombing during World
War II, the building was restored after the war by Chen Yi, the Governor-General of the Taiwan province. It became the Presidential Office in 1950 after the Republic of China lost control of mainland China and relocated the nation's capital to Taipei City at the end of the Chinese Civil War.
Taipei City at the end of the Chinese Civil War. The Presidential Office Building occupies the city block between Chongqing South Road and Bo'ai Road in downtown Taipei. It is designed in the shape of two squares stretching from Baoqing Road to Guiyang Street.
The 130 meter-wide facade faces east down multi-lane Ketagalan Boulevard. This reflects the concerns of its Japanese architects, who often oriented important structures toward the rising sun at the head of long avenues.The building has ten entrances but only the front entrance and west gate are used for official functions. In the original design an ornate Baroque-style domed entrance hall greeted visiting dignitaries.