The British Consulate at Takao (Chinese: 打狗英國領事館; pinyin: Dǎgǒu Yīngguó Lǐngshìguǎn) is a former British consulate built in 1865 in Gushan District, Kaohsiung, Taiwan. It has been designated as a 2nd Class Historic Site by the Ministry of the Interior. Located in Gushan District, it lies at the peak of Shaochuantou and overlooks Sizihwan Bay and Port of Kaohsiung. It currently serves as a cafe and tourist attraction.
In 1860 the Treaty of Peking forced the Qing government of Taiwan (then Formosa) to open up the ports of Takao (now known as Kaohsiung), An-Ping (Anping, Tainan), Tamsui (Tamsui, New Taipei) and Keelung to foreign trade. As the largest empire of the time Britain was one of the first western countries to establish a consulate, appointing Robert Swinhoe as the first British vice-consul in 1861, although he was unable to physically obtain the post until 1862. Initially the consulate was centered in Tamsui, but in 1864 the office was moved to Takau.
The building itself was built in 1879 by the Tien-li Company (also known as McPhail & Co.) overlooking Takao Harbor and the materials were brought over from the city of Amoy (now Xiamen) on Mainland China. It was rented by the British Government in 1867. In the same year Swinhoe was appointed as the first Consul General in Formosa a post he would hold until his retirement from government service in 1873.
The Consulate was designed by a British architect and built by the Tien-li Company (also known as McPhail & Co.) in 1865 using Chinese architects. The materials were shipped over from the city of Amoy (now Xiamen) on Mainland China. The architecture is that of the late Renaissance, providing a technical and stylistic basis for later Western buildings in Taiwan, and makes use of many arches. There are two floors