On the fertile plain of the river Arga sits Pamplona, a city full of history and deep-rooted traditions. The streets and squares of its historic quarter still preserve a significant collection of monumental buildings dominated by its churches and medieval walls.
Pamplona is a city in which tradition and modernity live in harmony. Founded by the Roman general Pompey in 75 BC, the city grew in importance in the 10th century with the kingdom of Pamplona. During the reign of Sancho III el Mayor ( 11th century), the current route of the Way of Saint James was established through the lands of Navarre, a fact that would influence both the city’s appearance and its historic development. A visit to Pamplona, capital of the Navarre region, should begin in the “hamlets”, group of districts of medieval origin representing the seed from which today’s city grew. In the centrally located Plaza Consistorial square stands the majestic Baroque façade of the Town Hall. This building, from 1752, commemorates the union of the hamlets of San Cernín, San Nicolás and Navarrería.