It is one of the city's most characteristic Gothic buildings.
Built in the fifteenth century and declared a national Historic-Artistic Monument in 1931, the ancient Santa Creu hospital is one of the city's most characteristic Gothic buildings.
The building was constructed during the 15th century and was directed by the building master Guillem d'Abriell. It is Gothic in style. Of the four wings that surrounded the arcaded courtyard, only three remain today, since a second arcaded courtyard was built connected to the first. In the building complex there is a small church with a single nave, barrel arch and two adjoining chapels.
At present the series of buildings that make up the ancient hospital, are also the location for different city institutions, including Catalonia's National Library, Massana College, the Institute of Catalan Studies and the Public Libraries of Santa Pau and Santa Creu.