It was donated to the city in 1893 by the Infanta María Luisa Fernanda de Borbón, Duchess of Montpellier. It is laid out in the shape of a trapeze and is criss-crossed by tree-lined avenues (Hernán Cortés and Pizarro avenues). Where the avenues meet there are fountains and statues, making the park a kind of open-air museum.
Among the most outstanding of these sqaures are the Gustavo Adolfo Bécquer, the Hermanos Quintero and the one dedicated to the Infanta María Luisa herself. Its most important fountains are the Lions fountain and the Frogs fountain, and the most famous pools are the Lotus and Duck pools.