Its location was established by the governor El Adelantado after the celebration of the festivity of the Corpus in 1496. The original church underwent extensions and modifications in subsequent centuries. The most extensive reform was in the 18th century according to plans by the architect Diego Nicolas Eduardo. It was rebuilt in 1974. In 1948 it was declared a National Historic-Artistic Monument. It has three naves, semicircular arches, and Mudejar-style coffering.