It is located on Ensanche de Amara, and is the work of Basque architect Manuel de Echave. The church covers an area of 1,915 square metres and was inaugurated in 1897. It was designated cathedral in 1953. It has a symmetrical, rectangular floor plan, in Latin cross formation with three naves, transept and presbytery. It is built in sandstone from the Monte Igueldo quarries and has a wealth of decorative elements such as stained glass windows (by Juan Bautista Lázaro), gargoyles, pinnacles, etc. Inside there is a very spacious crypt, while outside, its tower measures 75 metres in height, built by Ramón Cortázar. The high altar is dedicated to the Buen Pastor. It is home to statues of Nuestra Señora del Carmen, San Antonio, Santa Teresa and the Sagrado Corazón.