The South African National War Museum in Johannesburg
was officially opened by Prime Minister Jan Smuts on 29 August 1947 to preserve the history of South Africa
's involvement in the Second World
War. In 1975 the museum was renamed the South African National Museum of Military History and its function changed to include all conflicts that South Africa
has been involved in.. In 1999 it was amalgamated with the Pretoria
based Transvaal Museum
and National Cultural History Museum to form the NFI. In April 2010 Ditsong was officially renamed Ditsong Museums of South Africa and the SANMMH was renamed the Ditsong National Museum of Military History.