Žužemberk is a town and a municipality in the Dinaric Alps of Slovenia, located south-east of the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana. The area is part of the historical region of Lower Carniola. The municipality is now included in the Southeast Slovenia statistical region. As of 2002 the municipality had a total population of 4579.
Žužemberk lies in the southern part of Carniola on the left bank of the Krka River and is dominated by a medieval castle. The parish church was completely destroyed in World War II and rebuilt in recent years. The municipality contains around three settlements.
The Romans built a road through the region. Žužemberk is first mentioned in written documents dating to 1246. In 1399 it was granted market rights. The castle is believed to date back to around 1000, and the castle chapel dedicated to of St. Ulrich was built in 1046. The village that grew around the castle was located at the intersection of roads, and most of its inhabitants were craftsmen or peasants who traded their goods and organised fairs.