Trbovlje is a town and municipality in central Slovenia. Traditionally the area was part of the Lower Styria region. The entire municipality is now included in the Central Sava statistical region. Located in the valley of a minor left bank tributary of the Sava River, the area is known for its rich deposits of coal. Coal mining began in the area in 1804. In 1849 the town was connected Austrian Southern Railway and this allowed for its further development. There are three power plants in the area. The landmark feature of the Trbovlje power plant is the Trbovlje Chimney - reputedly the tallest chimney in Europe (360 m). A major section of the local museum is dedicated to the history of mining in the area.