Smolensky Cemetery (Russian: Смоленское кладбище) is the oldest continuously operating cemetery in St. Petersburg, Russia. It occupies a rectangular parcel in the western part of Vasilievsky Island, on the bank of the small Smolenka River, and is divided into the Orthodox, Lutheran, and Armenian sections.
The Orthodox cemetery is known to have existed in 1738, but was not officially recognized until 1758. Not only was it far removed from the city center, but it was also damp, necessitating the construction of drainage canals.
The cemetery has two churches. The older church is dedicated to the Theotokos of Smolensk. The azure-painted Neoclassical building was erected between 1786 and 1790. The church was closed for worship by the Bolsheviks between 1940 and 1946, then between 1960 and 1987. The newer church (1904), currently in disrepair, is dedicated to the Resurrection of Christ. It is the only example of Naryshkin Baroque in St. Petersburg. The church used to be known for its dazzling Neo-Baroque icon screen with a set of Vasnetsov icons. Other buildings on the grounds included the first wooden church, that of Michael the Archangel (destroyed by the Saint Petersburg flood of 1824), and an almshouse designed by Luigi Rusca.
The cemetery was a traditional burial place for the professors of the Imperial Academy of Arts and St. Petersburg University (both sited on Vasilievsky Island). Up to 800,000 people are estimated to have been interred at Smolensky Cemetery before the Russian Revolution, making it the largest 19th-century cemetery of St. Petersburg.