Blue, white, red – the flag of the Warmińsko-Mazurskie Voivodship is made up of these colours. The deep blue of the lakes, the white of sails and storks’ wings. Sometimes, as a contrast, the red bricks of the Teutonic castles.
But the palette of the local landscape does not end with the three colours. You can find green and gold; the wonderful verdant forests or fields of golden flowers. Each sunset over any of the 1000 lakes in the Mazury is a composition of nature; sometimes grey-violet, sometimes pink. It is easy to imagine the Creator resting here, after creating the World.
The Voivodship, located in the north-eastern part of Poland, consists of the historical lands: Warmia and Mazuria and its neighbour is the Kaliningrad District of the Russian Federation. Its capital is Olsztyn, where the astronomer Nicolaus Copernicus once lived. There is a fragment of an astronomical design made by him preserved in the castle of the Warmian chapter.
Warmia and Mazuria are, first and foremost, magnificent nature. The lakes are a refuge for birds (white eagles, cormorants, Pandion haliaetus, black storks) and the wilderness of the Piska and Borecka Forests are inhabited by bison, foxes, Nyctereutes procyonoides, martens and muskrats.