The castle was built in the gothic style, by the rulers from the Piast Dynasty (Głogów line) in the turnover of 14th and 15th centuries, on a place of original medieval castle. From the end of the 14th century it was the seat of the prince. From the beginning of the 16th century, it was the property of Polish kings. In the 17th century it had private owners. From approx. 1685 the castle was given the the Carmelitan order and was turned into a monastery. After cassation of the order in 1810, it was transformed into an armory. It has also been the property of the Old Lutheran community. Nowadyas it houses the culture centre with a concert hall with excellent acoustics. That’s why, there are many concerts in it.