Rafter’s Monument is located in the western part of the Old Town Marketplace. Playing the violin rafter is one of the symbols of Toruń.
It was created in 1914 by a German sculptor, Georg Wolf from Berlin. It was founded by wealthy citizens of Toruń. The sculpture cast in bronze rests on a sandstone plinth. A well with 8 frogs sitting on its brim was also made of sandstone.
The monument refers to a legend, which tells of a rafter who, with his beautiful fiddle playing, enchanted frogs residing in the town and led them outside the town walls into the suburbs of Toruń.