Olsztyn is situated in the southern part of Warmia on the river Łyna, within the boundaries of Olsztyńskie Lakeland. There are 15 lakes situated within the borders of Olsztyn, among numerous frontal moraines which were formed during the last glaciations.
The most important monuments of Olsztyn, the capital of Warmian-Mazurian Voivodship are the Old Town with the castle complex and Saint Jacob Apostle’s Church dating back to the XIV century. The monuments of the Olsztyn Town Square are situated on the European Route of Gothic and the church is deemed one of the greatest monuments of brick gothic era in Poland
The history of Olsztyn castle is very rich. Under the peace treaty dating back to 1466 signed in Toruń, Olsztyn and the whole area of Warmia, lands that at that time were the property of the State of the Teutonic Knights’ Order went under the rule of Poland. Then the King handed the castle over for the benefit of Warmian bishops.