A renaissance residence was raised between the years 1550-1571 on the site of a previously existing castle built by King Kazimierz Wielki. Here the Polish kings resided when they came to hunt in the nearby wild Niepołomice forests. The courtyard has arcaded galleries styled on those found at Wawel. The galleries had three floors of which the top one was demolished after the fire of 1800. In spite of this, the galleried courtyard is still one of the masterpieces of renaissance architecture in Poland. It also forms a beautiful backdrop scenery for various events – opera performances, medieval jousting tournaments, and New Year eve celebrations. In a royal castle is located The Zamek Królewski Hotel - this is the only hotel in Poland. Not far from the town and castle extends the Niepołomicki Forest with its nature reserves and a bison breeding centre.