Miechów [ˈmjɛxuf] is a town in Poland, in Lesser Poland Voivodeship, about 40 km north of Kraków. It is the capital of Miechów County. Population is 11,852 (2004).
Miechów acquired the city rights in 1290. The Municipality and the City of Miechów are located in Miechowska Uplands, at the state route No. 7. The city has a railway network. Nature reserves include: “Lipny Dół” in vicinity of Książ Wielki, “Biała Góra” in Tunel, and “Złota Góra” in Jaksice village.
Near the Old Market Square there is a zero-category historic monument – the basilica and monastery of the Holy Sepulchre Order, founded in 1163 by Jaksa of the Gryfici family. The monastery first introduced the cult of the Holy Sepulchre in Poland and in Europe. St. Vit Modest and Crescence Church in Nasiechowice and a wooden temple of Mother of Church in Przesławice are also notable.
The Jewish synagogue located at 10 Adama Mickiewicza Street was built in the early 20th Century. However, during the German occupation of Poland the synagogue was devastated by the Nazis and after the war became the municipal property, no longer serving its religious purpose. At present, the completely rebuilt synagogue houses a popular café.