Gorzów Wielkopolski (125,000 inhabitants) lies in the northern part of the voivodship. The 13th century St Mary’s Cthedral is a valuable architectural highlight of this 800-year-old city on River Warta. The Cathedral Square is lined with several restored historical buildings. The Garden Castle Museum (ul. Warszawska 35) is located in a beautiful mansion dating back to 1903. Together with the dendrological garden, it has been placed under the protection of the conservator of monuments. The museum’s collection includes zinc metal ware and contemporary art. To the north of Gorzów Wielkopolski is the Drawa National Park. It includes the valley of rivers Drawa and its tributary – Płociczna, together with 13 lakes. The high peat bog by the springs of Płociczna is one of the region’s greater attractions.
The regional waters are populated by a variety of fish and inside the park numerous species of fauna can be spotted, including otter (the park’s symbol), beaver, white eagle and many others. The town of Drawno at the northern edge of he park is a popular water sports centre as well as a good base for hiking, cycling and kayaking trips. In Kostrzyn, the rivers Warta and Odra meet. Their catchment area constitutes a protected landscape area that is also a borderland ecological zone. All the relevant information is provided by The Meadow Museum in the nearby village of Owczary, house no 17 on the way from Kostrzyn to Słubice. The old stronghold was completely destroyed during WW II. At present, on the bank of the river Odra, the archaeologists are uncovering fragments of a historical town. The Natural History Museum (ul. Dworcowa) organizes biketours in summer.