Lazienki Park is the largest park in Warsaw, Poland, occupying 76 hectares of the city center. The park-and-palace complex lies in Warsaw's Downtown , on Ujazdow Avenue on the "Royal Route" linking the Royal Castle with Wilanów palace to the south. North of Lazienki Park, on the other side of Agrykola Street, stands Ujazdow Castle. Lazienki Park was designed in the 17th century by Tylman van Gameren, in the baroque style, for Stanislaw Herakliusz Lubomirski.
It took the name Lazienki ("Baths") from a bathing pavilion that was located there. In 1764 the gardens were acquired by Stanislaw August Poniatowski, after his election that year as King of Poland. The development of the classical-style gardens became a major project for King Stanislaw August. The park-and-palace complex was designed by Domenico Merlini, Johann Christian Kammsetzer and landscape gardener Jan Chrystian Schuch. Its principal buildings stand beside or near the Lazienki Lake and Lazienki River. Stanislaw August's palace is situated on the lake and hence is known as the "Palace on the Water."