The Central Cemetery is the largest in Poland and one of the largest burial grounds in Europe.It on cemetery grows 360 trees' species and shrubs, which makes the cemetery also an interesting park.
The surface of cemetery carries out 167,8 hectare. The length of main park alleys has 12 km and side 60 km. The Central Cemetery was established on the basis of a small military burial ground, dating back to the French and Prussian war 1870-71.
The construction of the Cemetery was started in Februar 1900 and the same time first trees and bushes were planted. The designer of spatial arrangement of the Cemetery and buildings was Wilhelm meyer-Schwartau. The Cemetery was opened on 6 December 1900. In the years 1901-1903 a neo-Romanesque gate was built, with symmetrical arcades and passages on both sides.The main chapel was built in neo-Romanesque style in the years 1900-1905. The crematory was opened in 1925.
When visiting the Cemetery we can see the monuments; a stone with a plaque" In tribute to the heroes of September 1939-Fellow Countrymen, Szczecin 1989", Stone Commemorating the Victims of Stalinism, Monument of "those who died at sea - 1989. Many antique tombstones on cemetery are.