The National Museum of the Philippines is the official repository established in 1901 as a natural history and ethnography museum of the Philippines. The museum complex is located next to Rizal Park and near Intramuros in Manila.
National Art Gallery
The National Art Gallery is housed in the old congress building. The building was originally designed as a public library by Ralph Harrington Doane, the American consulting architect of the Bureau of Public Works, and his assistant Antonio Toledo. Designed as part of Daniel Burnham's 1905 masterplan for the city of Manila, construction of the building began in 1918. Sometime later, it was decided that the building would also house the Legislature and revisions were made by Juan Arellano, supervising architect of the Bureau of Public Works. On July 16, 1926, the building was formally inaugurated. Although the building was heavily damaged during World War II, it was rebuilt albeit less ornate and less detailed. Today, the building holds the National Art Gallery, natural sciences and other support divisions.
Museum of the Filipino People
The adjacent building in the Agrifina Circle of Rizal Park, formerly housing the Department of Finance, houses the Anthropology and Archaeology Divisions and is known as the Museum of the Filipino People.
Museum of Natural History
It was recently announced that the third building of this museum complex - the one presently occupied by the Department of Tourism, shall be developed into the Museum of Natural History, once the Department moves out and transfers to its permanent location in Makati.