These photos from Las Pinas have the most votes. Upload your own photo of Las Pinas!
Going to Las Pinas? Get answers from our friendly locals
National Capital Region, Philippines
The City of Las Piñas (Filipino: Lungsod ng Las Piñas) is a city in the National Capital Region of the Philippines with a population of 552,573 as of the 2010 Census. It is bounded to northeast by the Parañaque; to the southeast by Muntinlupa; to the west and southwest by Bacoor; and to the northwest by the Manila Bay. Half of its land area is residential and the remaining half is used for commercial, industrial and institutional purposes. The present physiography of Las Piñas consists of three zones: Manila Bay, coastal margin and the Guadalupe Plateau.
Established as a small fishing port and becoming a major sea salt producing municipality from several salt evaporation ponds since the Spanish Era, Las Piñas has grown into an important residential, commercial and industrial suburb of Metro Manila.
Las Piñas is famous for its Bamboo Organ located inside the St. Joseph Parish Church in the old district of the city. Built in 1824 by a Catholic priest, Fr. Diego Cera, it is the only organ of its kind in the World with organ pipes mostly made out of bamboo. This famous organ is praised for its unique, rare, and melodious sound.
Las Piñas was one of the earliest fishing settlements on the shores of Manila Bay and was proclaimed a town of Cavite province either in 1762 or 1797. Its exact date of creation cannot be ascertained because historical records vary. Cavada, a Spanish historian and Fr. Juan Medina placed it at 1762, while Manuel Buzeta recorded the date at 1797.
Besides being famous for its Bamboo Organ, which was built by Fr. Diego Cera and completed in 1824, the town of Las Piñas was also a major war theater during the 1896 Philippine Revolution, as it was occupied by forces of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. Las Piñas was occupied by the Japanese during World War II and liberated by the combined American and Filipino forces.
In 1901, the municipality of Las Piñas was separated from Cavite and incorporated to the newly created province of Rizal pursuant to the Philippine Commission Act No. 137. Two years later, it was combined with the town of Parañaque, with the latter as the seat of a new municipal government.
Las Piñas town feast
The town fiesta of Las Piñas is celebrated every first Sunday of May each year to honor its patron saint, Saint Joseph. Saint Joseph's Day celebration is centered in St. Joseph Parish Church in the old poblacion of Las Piñas in Brgy. Daniel Fajardo on Padre Diego Cera Ave. (Quirino Ave.).