Humaitá is a town on the Paraguay
River in southern Paraguay. During the War of the Triple Alliance, it served as the main Paraguayan stronghold from 1866 until its fall in August 1868. During that time, it housed as many as 24,000 troops. Up until March 1868, it was the de facto home of the Paraguayan government.Portions of the old fortifications, including some large earthworks, are still visible. It also possesses the remains of a Jesuit church dating from the 18th century.
The predominant geography in the zone is of a sheet of low areas, of whitish land, without prominent waviness. Due to the proximity of the Paraguay River, the increase of the waves overwhelms the whole bordering zone, therefore the geopolitical importance that the city had in the past.Ruins of Humaitá. Only a few vestiges survived bombardment by enemy cannons during the war.