Filadelfia is the capital of Boquerón Department in the Gran Chaco of western Paraguay
. It is the centre of the Fernheim Colony. It is about a 5 hour drive from the capital of Asunción.Filadelfia was founded in 1930 by Russian Mennonites who fled from the Soviet Union
Today the town is home to a museum, a library, a radio station and a hospital. The colony's villages lie around Filadelfia, as do several native reserves.A modern supermarket is located in the centre of the town, which is the last place to get groceries before heading farther out into the Chaco. A small commemorative park known as Parque Trebol lies about 5 km (3 mi) to the east of town. It now serves as a place for visitors to camp for the night.
The newly asphalted highway from Asunción continues past Filadelfia for another 70 km (40 mi) and runs out at the military checkpoint Mariscal Estigarribia. From this point onwards, the road to the border town fort General Eugenio A. Garay
is almost impassable.