Kokopo is the capital of East New Britain in Papua New Guinea. The capital was moved from Rabaul in 1994 when the volcanoes Tavurvur and Vulcan erupted. As a result, the population of the town increased more than sixfold from 3,150 in 1990 to 20,262 in 2000. Kokopo was known as Herbertshöhe during the German New Guinea administration which controlled the area between 1884 and 1914. Until 1910 it was the capital of the German colonial administration.