Nordkapp is a municipality in Finnmark county, Norway. The administrative centre of the municipality is the city of Honningsvåg.Nordkapp (originally named Kjelvik) was separated from Porsanger on 1 July 1861. The western part of the island of Magerøya was transferred from the municipality of Måsøy to Nordkapp on 1 January 1984.
Nordkapp is a Norwegianized form of the English name North Cape from 1553 (the Old Norse name of the cape was Knyskanes). The original name of the municipality was Kjelvik, after a fishing village with the same name. But the village was totally destroyed by the Germans in 1944 and it never recovered. As a consequence of this the municipality changed the name to Nordkapp in 1950.The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 19 October 1973. The arms show simplified the North Cape, which is a large cliff. The arms thus show the sea and the cliff under a golden sky representing the midnight sun.