Gjovik is a town and a municipality in Oppland county, Norway. The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Gjøvik. In 1861, the village of Gjøvik in the municipality of Vardal was granted town status and was separated from Vardal to form a separate municipality. On 1 January 1964, the neighboring rural municipalities of Biri, Snertingdal, and Vardal were all merged into the municipality of Gjøvik.
The town is named after the old Gjøvik farm (Old Norse: Djúpvík) since the town is built on its ground. The first element is djúpr which means "deep" and the last element is vík which means "inlet". The coat-of-arms is from modern times. They were granted on 2 September 1960. The arms show a white swan. The boat, Skibladner has its home harbour in Gjøvik.