The Opera House is a proscenium theatre in Wellington, New Zealand located on Manners Street opposite Te Aro Park. William Pitt, the architect, was based in Melbourne, Australia, and much of the work was overseen by local architect Albert Liddy.
Originally known as the Grand Opera House, construction began in 1911. It is a brick building, with wooden floors. In 1977, it was restored by the State Insurance company, and for many years it was known as the State Opera House. Today, it is simply 'The Opera House'.
The Opera House has three levels: stalls, circle and grand circle. It has fine moldings and an ornate dome. On either side of the proscenium arch are two boxes - arranged on top of each other.