Matakohe is a settlement in Northland, New Zealand. The Matakohe River is a short river which runs from the north into the Arapaoa River, which is part of the Kaipara Harbour. State Highway 12 passes through Matakohe. Ruawai is 16 km to the west, and Paparoa is 6 km north east. The Hukatere Peninsula extends south into the Kaipara Harbour.
The Matakohe block was first settled by Pakeha in 1863, when members of the Albertland religious group arrived in New Zealand. The land was initially burnt off to allow for the planting of crops and grass. A weekly (initially monthly) ferry service brought mail, and a road was constructed to Paparoa. In 1881, the longest wharf in the Kaipara—1,450 feet (440 m) long—was built at Matakohe to accommodate the steamers. Minnie Casey served Matakohe in the 1880s, and the S.S. Ethel, then the S.S. Tangihua in the 1890s.