El Colegio de MéXico, A.C. is a prestigious Mexican institute of higher education, specializing in teaching and research in social sciences and humanities. This Institution received the Prince of Asturias Award for Social Sciences in 2001. The library of El Colegio de Mexico is one of the largest academic libraries in Mexico, and it contains one of the most important Latin American collections in social sciences and humanities.
The college was founded in 1940 by the Mexican Federal Government, the Bank of Mexico (Banco de México), the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), and the Fondo de Cultura Económica. After the Spanish Civil War, the President of Mexico Lázaro Cardenas created The House of Spain in Mexico (1938–1940) to host the Spanish intellectuals in exile in that country.
Under the direction of renowned intellectual Alfonso Reyes, the House of Spain became a higher education center, and was renamed El Colegio de México in 1940. The College now operates under a 1961 charter that allows the institution to provide college-level teaching in the fields of humanistic knowledge and social and political sciences. In 1976, the university's campus was moved from the Colonia Roma (a historic neighborhood of Mexico City) to its current location.