Xaghra is famous for its prehistoric sites, Calypso
’s cave, the temples of Ggantija and the Neolithic site of Santa Verna, which lie nearby.
The present village however, has a more recent history. It became a parish in 1688, but the main church was only built during the mid 19th century. It is one of the most beautiful of Gozo
’s churches, with its richly decorated interior, gilt sculptures, Italian marbles and paintings. The village also has two unusual grottos – Ta Xerri and Ta Ninu, both of them beneath private houses, but open to the public. The grottos have remarkable stalactites and stalagmites.
The village also has two atypical museums – a Toy Museum
and an old wheat-grinding windmill. The mill, still in working order, has been fully restored and houses a collection of agricultural and domestic artefacts from past centuries.