Built in 1909, Jamek Mosque is one of the oldest mosques in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It is located at the confluence of the Klang and Gombak River and was designed by Arthur Benison Hubback.
The Sultan of Selangor, Sultan Sir Alaeddin Sulaiman Shah officially opened the mosque in 1909, two years after construction was completed. The mosque was built on the first Malay burial ground in the city. Before the national mosque, Masjid Negara, was opened in 1965, Masjid Jamek served as Kuala Lumpur's main mosque. The architect was Arthur Benison Hubback.
The mosque has a Moorish, Indo-Saracenic or Mughal architecture. Across the Gombak River stands the Sultan Abdul Samad Building, a building that was designed by the same architect and shares a similar style. Nearby is the Masjid Jamek LRT Station that is served by the Kelana Jaya Line, Sri Petaling Line and Ampang Line. The station is located between Chinatown and Little India; Dataran Merdeka is also nearby.
Imams and Muadhins of Jamek Mosque
Ustaz Hj. Abdul Halim bin Yatim (90an-present)
Ustaz Mohd Zamri bin Shafie (2004-2013)
Ustaz Mohd Faisal bin Tan Mutallib (Chief Of Imams at Jamek Mosque from 2010-present)
Ustaz Mohd Saiful Azhar (Chief Of Imams at Jamek Mosque from ?-2010)
Ustaz Mohd Hisyam (2012)
Ustaz Mohd Syukri (2012-present)
Ustaz Ahmad Firdaus (New Imam 2013)