Troskunai is the second smallest city in Lithuania. It is located 14 km (8.7 mi) west form Anykščiai. The birthplace of Lithuanian lexicographer and writer Konstantinas Sirvydas is nearby the city. The city was established in 1696 by Władysław Sokołowski, who brought there Bernardines, founded a church and a monastery. Recently the buildings were returned to the Bernardine monks, who established the International Centre of Youth there.