Smalininkai is a small city in Lithuania. It is situated in the former samogitian part of Memelland on the right-hand shore of the Neman River, 12 km (7.5 mi) west from Jurbarkas. Since 1422 (Treaty of Melno) Schmalleningken was a border-village at the Lithuanian-German customs frontier. 1792 it was appointed to a market town. 1845 the village became a parish and 1878 a church was built. 1902 a light railway was built from Pogegen to Schmalleningken. The village had in 1925 1,741 inhabitants and was incorporated into the Landkreis Tilsit-Ragnit in 1939.