Garliava is a city in Lithuania, considered a suburb of Kaunas. Garliava is located 10 km (6.2 mi) south from the center of Kaunas. In 1809 Jozef Godlewski built a Holy Trinity church and named it Godlewo in his own honour, although Lithuanians started calling it Garliava. This year is generally viewed as the year Garliava was founded. It lay along a significant postal route between Saint Petersburg, Kaunas, Marijampol, and Warsaw.