The main building of the Latvian National Museum of Art in Krisjana Valdemara street designed by the Baltic German architect Wilhelm Neuman in 1905 is one of the most impressive historicism buildings in the boulevard area of Riga. It is the first building built especially for a museum in the Baltics.
The building itself and the parameters of the exhibition rooms corresponded to the required standards for an art museum in Europe at the previous turn of the century. The majestic façade is designed in the baroque and classicism styles; the sculptural group of the central fronton was created by the sculptor August Volz. The interior of the building – the lobby and the ornaments of the staircase banister - features elements of Art Noveau. The top-floor lobby is adorned with six decorative semi-circular paintings by the great Latvian painter Vilhelms Purvītis and a master of Estonian classical art Gerhard von Rosen.
The building is an architectural landmark of national significance. Reconstruction and restoration work is scheduled in the foreseeable future. The permanent displays in the main building of the Latvian National Museum of Art introduces to the evolution of professional art in the Baltic States and Latvia from the mid-18th century till nowadays as well as to significant episodes in Russian art from the 18th century till the first half o the 20th century. Museum organizes art exhibitions, participates in international projects, prepares museum issues, organizes scientific conferences and various art and cultural events on a regular basis.
Alongside the permanent and temporary exhibitions, the Latvian National Museum of Art is also known for its intensive educational projects. Visitors are offered specialist-guided tours and educational programs.