This is the first health centre in Jūrmala, built in 1870. The resort became popular thanks to Doctor J.K. Nordštrēms who performed scientific research with the sea water and acknowledged it to be appropriate for health improvement. In his practice he applied physiotherapy and climatotherapy. During World War Two almost all main buildings of the sanatorium were destroyed and it was rebuilt later. Only the tower and gallery annexes remained, as well as the sanatorium entrance gates.