The Grand Mosque is the largest and the official mosque in the country of Kuwait. Its area spans 45,000 square metres, out of which the building itself covers 20,000 square metres. The main prayer hall is 72 metres wide on all sides, has 21 teakwood doors, and has lighting provided by 144 windows. The dome of the mosque is 26 metres in diameter and 43 metres high, and is decorated with the Asma al-hosna, the 99 names of God. The mosque can accommodate up to 10,000 men in the main prayer hall, and up to 950 women in the separate hall for women.
The mosque also contains a 350 square metres library of Islamic reference books and documents. To accommodate the large number of vehicles belonging to worshippers, the mosque also contains a 5-level car park underneath the eastern courtyard which can hold up to 550 cars. Construction on the mosque started in 1979, and the mosque was completed in 1986. first of Shawwal in 1407, or Eid ul-Fitr. The Minaret of the grand mosque is located in Northern-West of the mosque, resembles the Anadalusian architeure.