The recently renovated Nairobi
National Museum is a good place to learn more about Kenya
's history and culture. The construction of the present Museum Hill site began in 1929 after the government set aside the land for it.
The Museum was officially opened on September 22, 1930, and named Coryndon Museum, in honour of Sir Robert Coryndon, one time governor of Kenya and a staunch supporter of the Uganda
Natural History Society.
With the opening of the museum, the society moved its extensive library into the Museum complex.
Part of this collection made the foundation collection for what is now the Herbarium. In the early forties and fifties, the late Dr. Louis Leakey made a public appeal for funds to enlarge the Museum's galleries.
The result was the construction of all the present galleries to the right of the main entrance.
These were named in honour of the Nairobi community members who made their contributions for the construc-tion. Today, one finds the Mahatma Gandhi Hall, the Aga Khan and the Churchill Gallery among others.