Known during Biblical times as Dibon, it was the capital of ancient Moab. It is located about 30km to the south of Madaba, just before the spectacular descent into Wadi Mujib - aptly dubbed as Jordan’s Grand Canyon. The site comprises two hills: The southern hill which is now occupied by the modern town, and the northern hill, which was excavated in the 1950s and 1960s. Excavations indicate that this site was occupied in the Early Bronze Age (c.3000 BC), with no evidence that it was occupied in the Middle and Late Bronze Ages (c.1950-1250 BC).
For about five centuries the site was deserted. Prosperity returned to Dibon under the Nabataeans, who built a fine temple at the southeastern quadrant of the hill. Also, the walls on the summit of the site were rebuilt as was a north gate. Two inscriptions and the remains of a bath indicate there was a Roman garrison here in the 3rd century. Architectural features from the Byzantine and subsequent Umayyad periods include the remains of a 6th century church and two small domed structures. In the 19th century, the village relocated to the south hill using the ancient tall as a burial ground.