The history of the Teatro Petruzzelli of Bari begins when Onofrio and Antonio Petruzzelli, traders and ship builders of Trieste
presented the design of the theatre of their brother-in-law, the engineer Angelo Bari Cicciomessere (then Messeni) at the city of Bari.
The proposal of the Petruzzellis was accepted and in 1896 they signed the contract between the family and the city administration. The contract is dated 29 January 1896. Two years later, in October 1898, work began and ended in 1903. Inside the theatre was painted by Raffaele Armenise. Petruzzelli took from the Corato
the primacy of the largest theatre of Apulia
. The theatre was inaugurated on Saturday 14 February 1903 with the masterpiece of Meyerbeer, Les Huguenots.
On 6 December 2009 inaugurated the First
opera season in Petruzzelli rebuilt after the fire with the Turandot by Giacomo Puccini, directed by Roberto De Simone and orchestral direction of Maestro Renato Palumbo, who in September had concerted the Tosca, last title on the program of the Teatro Piccinni
. A trial of this Tosca was the first hearing test for orchestra and singers after the reconstruction.